Pietroasele is an area full of history, legend, mystery, celebrated in Romania – and not only – for a real treasure, known as the “golden chicken” treasure, but also for its wines.
On the territory of the vineyard in Pietroasa, archaeological testimonies have been found proving that viticulture and winemaking have a distant historical past.
Taking into account the conditions of maximum favorability of the vineyard culture, in 376 BC. – when Athanaric Visigoth King concealed the treasure “The Golden Chicken Blossom” at Pietroasa, another treasure – the vineyards – were present in the sunny hills of the area, where they continued to create an excellent reputation.
Pietroasa Viticulture and Winemaking Research and Development Station, branch of USAMV Bucharest since 2005, a renowned wine-growing center, is part of the Dealu Mare vineyard, but it is distinctly different from the rest of the vineyard through the climate and soil conditions and the quality of the wines.
The Pietroasa Viticulture and Winemaking Research and Development Station was established in 1893 after the disastrous attack of the Philoxer and was the first unit of its kind in Romania.
Founded as “Pepiniera Pietroasa”, it served as the “living and experimental vineyard for vine cultivation and wine making” being located in the middle of one of the largest vineyards of the country – Dealu Mare.
From here, they continuously radiated new solutions and methods of producing the vineyard material, choosing the varieties, setting up the plantations, cultivating the vineyards, taken with a lot of confidence by viticulturists.
Between 1893 and 1895 Pietroasa set up a collection of 737 varieties of grape vines for wine and table grapes from all continents on the 10 hectares area.
Starting with 1894, the grading school of Pepiniera Pietroasa was put into operation.
In 1924, the Wine and Oenological Pietroasa Winery was established with a scientific and propaganda character, aimed at undertaking researches to solve the problems of viticulture in the area. Within the unit a school of agricultural apprentices for the training of practicing viticulturists was established, and in 1932 the first special home school was established.
In 1928 the wine and oenological plant took over the name of “Experimental Pietroasa Vine”.
“Experimental Vine Pietroasa” was the first viticultural unit in the country where systematic experiences were organized on the behavior of fruit varieties and rootstocks, the application of cuts to land, the prevention and control of diseases and pests.
Professor Gherasim Constantinescu, one of the first leaders of this unit, said: “Pietroasa can be considered undisguised as the cradle of Romanian viticulture science. Its purpose was to revive the vineyards’ life and to harness the efforts of the villagers to capitalize on the sub-Carpathian hills that the vines have for millennia, through the plantations of the vineyards, taking precedence over all the crop plants”.
In 1958, Pietroasa Experimental Vine becomes the Pietroasa Wine Experimental Station.
The first experimental and experimental plantations with great distances and high forms of leadership, which underpined the concept of intensive viticulture promoted in the country from the 1960s to 1970s, were founded in Pietroasa.
In 1972 it became one of the stations of the Horti-Viticultural Research Institute, then of the Institute of Viticulture and Winegrowing at Valea Calugareasca, and in 2005 it re-entered the subordination of the University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine – Bucharest, as its subsidiary.
The surface of the resort has diminished as a result of retrocession, from 512 ha in 2003 to 203.38 ha in 2014.
Pietroasa, a place blessed by God, once for his history and second time for his wines, seems to have the destiny of a treasure: he is waiting patiently to be discovered and rediscovered by each of us.